I’m Still Alive!


Howdy ho readers! To say that I have been absent for a bit would be quite the understatement. On the next to last day of the first month of 2014, I am making it a mission to get back on track with writing frequently. February and March will prove to be quite the rigorous months ahead, but I wanted to take some time this evening to play a little catch up on life so here goes:

First off, I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas holiday. It was quite the holiday memory for our family. My parents and brother decided to go to New Jersey to spend Christmas with my mom’s side of the family which left all of our Christmas festivities focused on my husband’s side of the family which was great since we didn’t get to see them while spending Thanksgiving in Michigan in November.

Me and Hubs at Christmas

Me and Hubs at Christmas

On Christmas day we had a delicious brunch at my mother-in-law’s house. A few of my friends from high school were also having a get together on Christmas night for everyone to catch up. Since my parents were in New Jersey/New York for Christmas, I did not have original plans to drive the 2 1/2 hours to my hometown of Fort Payne, AL. However, I really wanted to see my friends and decided drive up that early evening to see my gals. My husband and I had driven separate cars to my MIL’s and I was set to drive his car up to see my friends. After stopping at the gas station near my MIL’s, I hopped on the interstate and was ready to go. After driving for about half a mile, I started to hear a “thud” noise followed by witnessing the entire tread/tire fly off of one of the wheels and shoot across to the far left lane of the interstate. I don’t know how I managed to avoid hitting all of the other cars around me, but I made it to the right shoulder and immediately called my husband hoping that he was still close by with his family. Fifteen minutes later, my husband rushed over in my Camry to fetch the “runaway” tire tread and then back over to me to put the donut on the car. He was quite perplexed since the tire was <1 year old. We found out later from the tire place that it was a defective tire (SCARY). After he fixed the donut, I told him I just wanted to drive back home to Tuscaloosa. He reminded me how little often I get to see my friends and encouraged me to drive my Camry up to Fort Payne.

After a wonderful evening of catching up, I left my friend Brittany’s house at 9:15 p.m. I debated on sleeping at my parents’ house and driving home the next day but figured I was caffeinated enough to make it home to my hubs and Lou. At about 10:20 p.m. as the only car on the interstate on Christmas night, a hugely massive 8 point buck ran into the front side of my Camry. I made a girly scream and then proceeded to veer off to the right shoulder. Smoke was coming from the front of my car and none of my lights worked. It took a bit of time for anyone to stop and I was a little nervous since the deer was still in the interstate and people were veering into the shoulder (barely missing my car) to avoid the deer carcass in the road. A man in a truck finally stopped and told me he had been traveling in the opposite direction when he saw me hit the deer. He removed the deer from the interstate and waited until I called the police to come help. About 15 minutes before my altercation with the deer, my husband had told me on the phone he was going to bed. I called him about 16 times before he sleepily answered the phone…surely confused by my hysterics while under the power of sleepiness. And after all was said and done, a tow truck came for my Camry and the nice driver took me to the only place open on a Christmas night: Waffle House. Since I was still quite a ways from Tuscaloosa and my hubs was driving his car that now had a donut on it, it took about 2 1/2 hours for him to come fetch me and take me home. Talk about a memorable Christmas 🙂


My poor little Camry in all her glory at the body shop

Fast forward to January. After about 3 weeks in a rental car, my beautiful Camry is looking better than ever. During January I also had a personal surgery done which rendered me the most horrendous post-op nausea and no appetite to be found. Luckily today my appetite is better than ever, especially since we had a #snowpocalypse winter gridlock here in the state of Alabama. All is well now but many folks had to sleep in their vehicles or find shelters due to the treacherous travel conditions.

Our humble abode during the first day of snow on January 28th in Tuscaloosa, AL

Our humble abode during the first day of snow on January 28th in Tuscaloosa, AL

Okay, I think that is enough ramblings for now. I promise my actual food and nutrition posts will be back soon 🙂 For now, I will leave you with a couple of the images used in the “Awkward Family Photo” themed Christmas card sent to our friends and family this year 🙂


fb cover

picture4 picture5 picture8 picture14

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s